If you’ve never been camping at a music festival……do it. Add it to your bucket list.
Camping festivals provide an experience to escape from reality and fully indulge in the music. Lost Lands, Dancefestopia, Sonic Bloom, Burning Man, DirtyBird Campout West Coast, Basswoods, Summer Camp, Electric Forest, EDC Las Vegas, Desert Hearts, Imagine, Lightening in a Bottle, Daybreak, Nocturnal Wonderland, Bonnaroo…the list could go on and on of camping music festivals you could attend.
Here are Festpop’s tips for attending a camping music festival!
Check the FAQs of the festival site!
This area is where you’re going to find a lot of answers. Not only will you find answers on camping restrictions as to what you can and cannot bring or how big your campsite can be but also what time you can start setting up camp! This information is vital. It could save not only space in your car but also money! Purchasing an early arrival if possible is always recommended to guarantee you have the best spot for your festival crew!
Follow the Festival’s Social Media & Join the Facebook event and groups!
Many festivals use social media as their main method to stay in contact with their attendee’s. We highly recommend following their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as a lot of odd ball questions are answered and important information is given on these platforms.
Veterans of the festivals usually pitch in their two cents to the rookies here. If there are pre-parties, cheap tickets, set time questions, parking concerns, you ask here and you will find the answer!
What to Bring
Basic Camping Essentials
Watch the forecast leading up to the festival and research the area you are to be camping in so you know what items are needed. Set yourself up to have a good time with little to no stress!
- Tarps (We recommend purchasing 3. One to go under your tent and the others in case of rain or needed as to provide shade from the sun.)
- Rope & Knife/Scissors
- Air Mattress/Sleeping Needs (Pillow & Blanket)
- Hydration Backpack
- Ear plugs (For sleeping and protecting your hearing while at the festival.)
- Sleeping Mask
- Portable Chargers with Cords (Solar power are most ideal as you don’t want to drain the car battery from getting a charge.)
- Bug Spray
- Emergency Poncho
- Flash Light
- Extra batteries
- Trash Bags! (Leave no trace! Please always take what you bring to a festival! Keep the land clean and able to use again for the next year!)
Three days of camping and dancing are an equation for some funky body odor by the end of it. If the festival has shower options available in their VIP package it may be worth the upgrade. A hot shower can make all the difference in your festival experience. Portable showers are also handy if you have the space for one on campsite! A lot of these suggested products below can be found at your common Walmart but we suggest checking out outdoor stores like REI, Dick’s, & Scheel’s for products that are specifically made for camping but also good for the environment.
- Flush-able Wipes
- Baby wipes
- Hand Sanitizer
- Emergen-C (To bounce back to feeling 100% and back to the dance floor!)
- Melatonin (Sometimes music doesn’t end until the late late hours and you do need sleep. This sleeping aid can be purchased at any store and will help you get a solid night’s rest.)
- Dry Shampoo (Feeling fresh is the goal! This product can be helpful for anyone who has hair on their head!)
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Body wash
- Band aids
Check to see if you can bring a camping stove and small propane grill to make beneficial meals and save some cash for merch! Bring a cooler for your perishable items and plenty of cash for bags of ice. Look into bringing food that is nutritious and high in protein to replenish your energy! We urge you to bring reusable utensils and plates. Less plastic for an easier cleanup and better for the environment!
- Oranges or Mandarins (Vitamin C!)
- Granola or Protein Bars
- Trail Mix
- Instant Coffee (Snag some sugar and half & half from the gas station on the way!)
- Wheat Bread
- Sandwich Fixings
- Powerade and or Gatoraid (Get those electrolytes up! They help you feel energized!)
Wear clothing that is comfortable to wear for hours. Expect to walk miles, sweat a lot, and dance a ton! Bring a small bag to throw your dirty clothes in and contain the musk.
- Socks on socks on socks (A fresh pair of socks after a long day of dancing are heaven sent!)
- Something warm and comfy for the night.
- Slide on shoes to leave outside your tent (If you have to leave your tent in a hurry to go to the bathroom, those boots aren’t so quick to put on.)
- Bandana (Dirt gets kicked up when the beat is bumpin! This will help filter out some of that dust or wipe away the sweat.)
Added Luxuries & Miscellaneous
Make your campsite unique and fun! It’ll make your camping area so much easier to find in the sea of tents!
- Battery powered fan(s) to put in your tent. ( I found one from Amazon that has an LED light and adjustable fan with a hook to hang from the top of my tent. It saved me at Electric Forest!)
- LED light.
- Solar yard lights (These can be found for $1 at Walmart! Place these outside your tent for added light.)
- Small Handheld Mirror
- Bluetooth Speaker
- Tapestries (These help create a secluded area for you and your squad and also protection from the sun!)
- Dryer sheets (I always bring a small ziplock bag of these. Stick a few in your pillow, the corners of your tent, and luggage to keep your tent smelling clean!)
- Take a screenshot of the set times and set it as your lock screen.
- Dish soap & sponge
- Paper towels
- Pop up canopy
- Hand & toe warmers
Most importantly, bring a good vibe and your festival squad for a guaranteed good time! Make friends with your neighbors and don’t be afraid to wander solo!
Download and fill in our festival essential checklist to help you prepare for your camping festival experience!
Interested in reading more on festival life? Read our article on festival etiquette!
Here are a few camping music festivals we’ve covered.
Imagine Festival Releases Full Lineup and Forth Day
Nocturnal Wonderland is Back for it’s 24th Edition!
Insomiac Announces Lineup For Beyond Wonderland, So Cal.
Dirtybird Campout West Reavels 2019 Lineup
Bass Canyon: A Headbanger’s Heaven
Need help getting to the next adventure? Visit www.festpop.com for deals on your festival travels! Festpop offers travel accommodation deals, festival reviews, and the latest news on the festival realm.
Follow Festpop on social media to stay connected.
Instagram Facebook Youtube
Social Media Manager, Anissa Martinez