The time has come for wanderers to experience another magical moment beyond the rabbit hole. In its third year in the Bay Area, Beyond Wonderland returns to the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA. The experience at Beyond Wonderland is a magical thing, where 40,000 festival goers travel far and wide to dance together under the electric sky. The event occurs Friday, September 20 and Saturday, September 21.
With 2-day tickets priced around $230, you want to extract all of its value as possible. Plan your transportation, outfits, schedules, and after-parties accordingly because we recommend getting to the event as soon as it starts. This year’s Wonderland will be bigger than ever with Above & Beyond and Kaskade closing out Friday and Saturday, respectively. So, here is FestPop’s travel guide for Beyond Wonderland 2014.
WHAT TO BRING
- Clothing: Wear your best rave attire to complement your best smile. There really are limitless possibilities as creativity can get you anywhere. If you are short of an outfit, check out Insomniac Event’s Beyond Wonderland Pinterest board for inspiration: http://www.pinterest.com/insomniacevents/beyond-wonderlandthe-look/
- App and Schedule: Know who’s playing when and where so that you don’t miss any of your favorite sets. Plan well and plan accordingly with Insomniac Event’s app, available for download at the Google Play Store or the App Store. To view the lineup and daily schedule, visit http://www.beyondwonderland.com/the-experience/music/
HOW TO GET THERE AND AROUND
- Transportation: Last year, getting to the venue with a car was a swift and easy task and we are predicting that this year will be no different. Bring $20 in cash per day for general parking but guest drop-offs and pickups are also allowed.
- Migration: With thousands of people in a disorienting environment, you can easily get lost or overwhelmed. Make sure you have a buddy system for your group. Wear comfortable shoes that can withstand long hours of shuffling, walking, and jumping. When Pasquale releases the official map, peruse it so you know where the stages, general stores, and water stations are located.
WHAT TO DO
- The Art: Experience large-scale art on the grounds. This year art will include the One-Eyed Monster (a drivable art piece made from automotive scrap heap), Tentacles (30-foot-tall illuminated sculptures made out of steel and fabric that wiggle and sway in the sky), and Lilly Pond (a watery oasis that serves as a relaxation tent), and more.
- The Performers: Experience theatrical performers as they dance on stage, through the crowd, and throughout the venue. Keep your eyes out for the Sparkle Bunnies or lovely ladies of the flower chorus. Fall in love with playful Lambs, admire the harlequin Enigmas, and of course, should you see her, pay homage to her majesty the Beyond Queen.
- Eat Me Cupcake: If you come early enough, you may be greeted by performers and Ground Control members with a gigantic delicious Eat Me cupcake. Come early, because they are limited!
WHERE TO STAY
- Hotels: If you are still scrambling to find a hotel, then you are in luck. FestPop’s travel concierge is a quick and convenient way to book your stay (http://travel.festpop.com/).
A well-thought action plan will grant you the opportunity to explore every corner of Wonderland. You will become less stress and worried about missing your favorite artist because you’re stuck in traffic or you don’t know the set times. Always have a buddy system for your group and stay hydrated. Have fun wanderers during your journey down the rabbit hole.
Written by FestPop Sr. Staff Writer Chris Hong Email Comments to: [email protected]